Sunday, October 10, 2010

Maddie

As most of you have heard, our next door neighbor Maddie was killed in a car accident on October 7th. She was walking to school when another girl her same age (13) was driving and struck with a car.
Maddie was our kids babysitter, friend, and neighbor. We loved it when she watched our kids, because she did such a good job and the kids loved her. She was always smiling! She was probably one of the most Christlike people we knew. In fact the day before she died, I saw her walking on our street with some of her friends. She had a huge smile on her face, and I thought "Maddie, is such a good person!" There was something so sweet about her...I think it was just in her countenance. When you were near her, you wanted to be happy.
When we first moved here a year ago may, we learned that Maddies family (our next door neighbors) lost their Dad a couple of years earlier. We would often see their home teachers over. We had a street party last year, and that is were I first officially met Maddie. I asked her if she was interested in baby sitting my kids, and she said she would love too. Maddie was pretty busy, but we tried to get her to sit when we could. I often wondered about the loss of their Dad and how hard that must have been. Apparently, the inheritance money they got from their Dad's death was lost in a Poncy Scheme. So, all their savings were gone.
Thursday morning I got a text from a ward member and neighbor saying Maddie got hit by a car and we all needed to pray for her. Tears filled my eyes, but I was hopeful things would be OK. Maybe 30 min. later, I received another text that said Maddie had just passed. I just broke down, and couldn't believe it was true. How could SHE be gone? How could Maddie be gone? She is such an Angel. How will her family be able to cope with another loss? I called Alan and told him what had happened, we were both in shock. I immediately started to worry about my kids and how they would react. Especially Victoria, I really worried about how she would do. I had to teach at 4 and the kids were going to be watched by a babysitter, and they don't get home until about 3:45. I was worried they might hear it from someone else, or hear something on the way home. I didn't want to break the news to them, and then leave them a mess for the babysitter. So, I decided to check them out at about 2. I took them home and sat them down on the couch and broke the news. Victoria broke down and cried and cried. She kept saying she couldn't believe Maddie was gone, that she didn't deserve to die, and that she really wished that girl wouldn't had taken her aunts car. We snuggled and talked about how Maddie's death is part of Heavenly Fathers plan, and that it is so sad, but we know she is happy. We also talked about how hard of a time the girl that hit her is probably having, and how sad she must be that she did this. Maddie is in heaven with her dad! Brayden kept saying "Mommy, I feel really sad for Maddie." Victoria was pretty weepy all night. I really worried about her. Death is a hard thing for adults to deal with, I don't think kids are quite equipped to deal with it.
Today at church, it was fast and testimony meeting. Everyone had taken the news hard and there were many tears. I couldn't help but feeling guilty. Almost like I didn't have the right to grieve Maddie's loss, shes not in our family, so I don't deserve to. I keep thinking of her family and how hard this must be for them. I don't want to draw attention to myself. "I'm so sad, pay attention to me." This is about Maddie, not me or anyone else. I just kept my feelings in. I wanted to blog today, to relay what a beautiful person Maddie was and how much we will miss her. But I think the fact of the matter is, we can't help but grieve the loss of such a wonderful person, and feel for her poor mom and sister left behind.
Maddie's family is in a scary financial situation and they need help. Please visit http://madisonmecum.org/. Our ward is putting together a huge yard sale this Saturday morning/afternoon in our neighborhood. All the proceeds will go to the Mecum family. If you can help in some way, I know it will be greatly appreciated. Also, please remember this family in your prayers. Thanks! April

7 comments:

Kathrin Paul said...

Beautiful post, April! If they are doing a raffle/silent auction, let me know. I can donate a picture package.

Tracie Paul said...

April, you're such a good mom. We love you all so much!

Kelli said...

So Saturday the 16th? Can I just bring you items? Let me know?

Laura Burtis said...

You really are such a great mom April! Great post. This is such a sad situation. Love you!

April Paul said...

Kelli- You can drop off the items today at the hawkins home (my neihbor), or if you come early saturday morning. Thanks

April Paul said...

Kat- I will look into the picture package thing. Thanks

Jeanette said...

You really are the best mom, April. I'm always amazed at all you do. And I love how the kids always smell so good - just can't hug them enough! Thinking of Maddie's tragedy, the Savior wept when he saw how grieved Mary and Martha were at their brother Lazarus' death, and then in the D&C it says: "Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die." So don't feel guilty about crying - I think it brings us all together. Okay, I'll step down from my pulpit and go to bed.

xoxoxo,
Jeanette